Sunday

Brighton's Birthday

Since May, I can not tell you how many crazy things i have heard about birth and having a baby and all that goes with it. I have heard from some crazy crazy people and some who think that they have pregnancy figured out for every other woman. I remember what one of my friends said though, she told me that my story would be different from how any other womans goes down and I just thought of that for the rest of my pregnancy...How will my story be...well now i know:)

For the sake of my blog not being private I am not going to explain in detail too much of this day. The only thing that holds a candle to it is the day Andrew and I were sealed in the temple, but today was so very different and special. I created a life... well technically andrew and I had already created it, but birthing it was just serene! They started me on pitocin around 430 or 5. I was already to a 4 and about 50-60% effaced, but the nurse checked me anyway to see where i was at. She told me that because of a certain few factors that i might end up in a C-section so just be prepared if so. Brighton never "dropped" which means the rest of the "stuff" that is supposed to be lower was pretty high up still.... I didn't start REALLY feeling the contractions until they turned it up to about an 18. Andrew and his mom were there sitting on the couch beside the bed and i would talk to them in between a little. The funniest part was when i started to laugh when i was having contractions, all three of us were laughing... until the next contraction:) They finally got bad enough to where i fell silent. :) The nurse came in to turn up the dosage every 30 minutes and then to check me every 2 hours, for the first 2 checks i had made no progress at all. Since the contractions were really bad I decided to get the epidural and see if i could relax and let this little guy come down. To my surprise the next time she checked me before the epidural i was to a 6, yes! around 1030 i got the needle in the back! I was scared for this, more scared then having the baby even, but it turned out ok:) For the next few hours the nurse tried positions and things that would help Brighton come down into place but still with no luck:( at 130 in the morning and an exhausted husband i asked the nurse realistically how long she thinks i had so andrew could go home and check on our dogs and sleep, she said until at least 5 or 6 so off alice and Andrew went to leave me to sleep. I woke up at about 230 feeling contractions like i had before getting the needle in the back so i pushed the button for more medication and went back to sleep. I woke up at 330 this time, one hour later in bad pain and called the nurse to tell her that i think my water had broke and that the epidural had stopped working. Although it was not time to check me she did anyhow and who would have ever guessed! I was to a ten! 100% effaced, but my water had not broke. I got so excited! I even forgot about the pain, i hurried and called Andrew to tell him to hurry but he didnt answer:( haha, it was funny..., but he called me right then and asked me if i was feeling okay, this is what the convo was like...
Me.." Hey you need to come."
Andrew... "but why?
me... "because im ready!"
Andrew... "are you sure? okay ill be right there"
:)
Andrew was to my side in about 25 minutes, my water broke I told the nurse i need to push she let me 3 times and stopped me to call the dr... I kept insisting that i needed to push and she kept telling me no that i had to wait for the doc.... ugghh!!!!
15 minutes later Dr. Matthews came in, 3 pushed later Brighton was born:)
Truly amazing! The feeling was heavenly once it was all over! like in one instant all the pain is gone and I have my son laying on my chest. He was calm, just like i knew him to be in my belly. He barely cried and never cried when they gave him shots or drew his blood. He did SCREAM when he got his bath though:)

That's my first birth story! Brighton was born at 5:11am, he weighed 8 pounds and 6 ounces and was 21 inches long, the best part about him is that he is beautiful and has big blue eyes like his mom and long toes like his dad:) After all was over and Andrew and I had our time with him Grandma Crandell and Grandma Starkes got to come in and meet their new grandson.

The whole few days from check in to check out was wonderful. I had the best nurses in L&D and I was even able to have my own Doctor deliver Brighton. I am so blessed and grateful that i was able to have him without having to go under the knife:)I had a great pregnancy. In fact I loved it. Despite the usual few months of nausea in the beginning I loved learning about how Brighton was constanly changing and developing inside me on a daily basis. I LOVED feeling him, simply LOVED that feeling above most things in life. I am still amazed at how heavenly father did all of this. I am looking forward to the next time we get to do this again:)

2 comments:

  1. Congrats Mandy! He is soo perfect. Love hearing your birthing story. Being a mother is truely amazing. I hope your all doing good. Cant wait to see more pics. Oh and his nursery is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to have another baby just so I can copy his room I love it. Good job!

    ReplyDelete